What's happening on the new EPs?!

For all your Meg releated and non Meg releated chat

Moderator: Meg

Postby Rob on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:15 am

erm....

But then it's not 5/4 then cos the 5 beats aren't quarter notes if there is five of them....

Although they are quarter notes in length when compared to the rest of the songs... *confused still*
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Postby Matty Jetman on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:02 pm

Top number tells you how many beats there are in a bar, the bottom number tells you the note value that makes up 1 beat.

4 = quarter note

5 = 5 quater notes per bar

Other songs that use this time signature are Take 5 by The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Mars from the planet suite by Holst and Money by Pink Floyd
Matty Jetman
Meg Keyboards
Meg Keyboards

Postby Rob on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:10 am

Well this is getting silly now, more 5/4 songs please...

It's strange calling them quarter notes if there is five of them, I call for a shakedown of all musical logic
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Postby rich on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:50 pm

theyre only called 'quarter' notes in America. They called them 'quarter' notes cus in most situations the note is equal to a quarter of a beat. Us Brits call them crotches. Therefore it gets rid of the confusion of 5 quarter notes which is basically impossible! :D :D
rich

Postby Rob on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:28 pm

:lol: yeah man! that's the stuff. Good old U of K.

Well done Rich.

This is all really great. Think I'm gonna write a tune in 7/5.32
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Postby Sarah on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 pm

rich wrote:Us Brits call them crotches.

Crotch-ets rich... not crotches :D i think that is kind of why they call them quarter notes... I learnt something slightly different... cant be arsed to explain though.... xxx
Sarah

Postby Dean on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:06 pm

glad ot hear the album is coming underdway, good on you lot and ill be exspectin and advance copy of the album! as i am the die hard Birmingham meg fan! haha ... n you klnow im goog at tryin to get people to coem to the gig! haha
Dean

Postby OctopusQueen on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:14 pm

Hehehe musical crotches...
Meg..... So good, they should be Welsh...
OctopusQueen
Mini Meg #3
Mini Meg #3

Postby Rob on Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:12 pm

Gig next week is off people. Problems with the venue it would seem. Bugger. And it's not an album, it's 2 EPs innit.
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Postby Rob on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:24 pm

Forgot to say that the bass is all done now :D

Al came over on good friday if I recall correctly. All went swimmingly well apart from I Am About To Forget, for reasons I am about to forget :wink: eh Al? :P

So yes, all the bass is now done, and has since been edited and mixed :mrgreen:

My folks weren't too impressed with the hours of noise but I did ask. I just took no reply as a yes lol

I think the supplies used were:
2 bottle of Diet Coke with Cherry (al and Rob)
1 bottle of Cherry Coke (rob)
4 cups of tea (2 each)

Is that right Al? I did make a list but I've chucked it.
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Postby Rob on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:50 pm

Annnnder nowwwwww...

I spent today recording guitar. If we are technical I recorded all of the distorted guitar that is going to come out of the left speaker (Mega Distortion pedal) as well as all of the distorted solos. Thus I still have the clean guitar and rhythm guitar (Big Muff coming out of the right speaker) to do. Then I might do some more over dubs. Interesting... Well, I'm sorry but I was on me own, nothing interesting happened and I didn't have a w**k. I have to pad it out with other stuff.

I will say, and it shouldn't surprise me but it's a pain in the ass having to navigate your pc and play and instrument. You need 2 pairs of eyes and ears and hands. My meagre eye, ear and hand allotment had to suffice. I used Toms phones but the lead on them is really short so I had to sit on my bed to do it. I'll blame any slight wah mis-calculations on that. In fact I blame it all on that :P

School boy errors : Leaving thw window open and leaving mobile phone turned on. Just hope there isn't any school kids yelling in the background or phone interference :?

Supplies used :
2 cups of tea and ciggies
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Postby Rob on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Yes, have neglected to update this in a while.

Matt finished off his keyboards a while back.

Supplies were neglected to be logged.

Over the past week I have recorded the clean guitar and the Big Muff which will sit in the right speaker.

The Big Muff rattles my speaker cab :( I had taken it in to be repaired but obviouslt the Bif Muff is just too much. This is why I ended up recording the clean guitar first, borrowing Matt's Marshall combo to record the Big Muff yesterday.

Today I recorded vocals for My Girl Want's To F**k My Best Friend, Kelly You're The Teacher and Greasy Sausages. Christ knows if they'll turn out ok, I did loads of takes and decided again that I clearly cannot sing.

Supplies used - more cups of tea and smokes, aaaaaaaand a bottle of water when I recorded the vocals believe it or not. I used a vocal zone lozenze too but it seemed to make me more snotty tbh.
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Postby Rob on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:55 pm

Today I tried to record some more vocals. Was intended to be a few tracks but I had a minor disaster. Chose to do fireworks first, foolish.

I recorded the end of the 2nd chorus (where I scream TO THE HILLS! AAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!) about 20 times and then realised I had selected the wrong input so none of it had recorded. So I had to do 20 more screams and by this time my voice was completely knackered. Very gravelly, ok if I was recording some Johnny Cash covers I guess. Chomped on a lot of honey but it's still fecked so I'm gonna have to delay more recording till tomorrow. Oh well, got the main vox on Fireworks done, have to do the silly end bit and harmony vocals now.

Supplies used : 1 cup of tea, 1 glass of water, quite a bit of honey, a couple of smokes when I realised disaster had struck.

Bo***cks :!:
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Postby Rob on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:50 pm

Finished recording all the rest of the vocals today althouigh it didn't look promising when I awoke to the guy over the road cutting up concrete slabs. He stopped eventually. Today I knackered my throat by screaming FRYYYYYYYYYY over and over again for Volatile :P

I might record some more vox if I don't like what I get when I have edited them all to f**k.

I think that is gonna take some serious time. My head is going to explode.

Greasy sausages is gonna sound good, I'm pretty sure of that.

Supllies used : a glass of salt water for gargling, a cup of tea, a bottle of iron brew.
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Postby Rob on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:19 pm

The You Are The Teacher is 99% done, I'm just waiting for Andy Taylor to give me the time corrected drum track to Volatile and we'll be away.

Matt came round last tueday and recorded the one, two, three, fooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that occurs at the beginning of Volatile, and we also recorded loads of him playing around with Craftwerk Lego Hair, since then I've been editing it to high buggery and adding robotic voices, gonna have Matt have a listen cos once again I have lost all perspective. Prob stick some Q-Tron guitar on it too but I'll wait and see what Mr Pimm thinks.
Rob
Meg Guitar/Vocals
Meg Guitar/Vocals

Previous

Return to Gravy Dinners